Thursday 18 September 2014

Poetic Pairing: May 2014

April Love 1855-56 Arthur Hughes

The Miller's Daughter
 
It is the miller's daughter,
And she is grown so dear, so dear,
That I would be the jewel
That trembes in her ear;
For hid in ringlets day and night,
I'd touch her neck so warm and white.
 
And I would be the girdle
About her dainty dainty waist,
And her heart would beat against me,
In sorrow and I in rest;
And I should known if it beat right,
I'd clasp it round so close and tight.
 
And I would be the necklace,
And all day long to fall and rise
 Upon her balmy bosom,
With her laughter or her sighs;
And I would lie so light, so light,
I scarce should be unclasp'd at night.

Love that hath us in the net,
Can he pass, and we forget?
Many suns arise and set;
Many a chance the years beget;
Love the gift is Love the debt.
Even so.
 Love is hurt, with jar and fret;
Love is made a vague regret;
Eyes with idle tears are wet;
Idle habit links us yet.
 What is love? for we forget:
Ah no! no!

Alfred Lord Tennyson

When this painting was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1856 the last six lines of this poem were placed alongside it.

No comments:

Post a Comment